Monday, November 1, 2010

October Overview

I was thinking I had nothing to blog about, until I pondered the hectic month of October and realized I did have a few things to say, other than we had a fun Halloween. Todd has been gone since October 15th, and will be a few days short of a month gone when he returns. I always tell him life is so busy it goes by quickly for us, but we do miss him, especially after we Skype and get to visit face to face. I love the easy dinners I can get away with (guilt free because they are kid favorites) and the kids love taking turns sleeping in my bed. I've learned this month that Hayden is like his dad in one more way--he rolls over and steals the covers, which is noticeable this month with the cooler nights. The cover stealing I can deal with, it's the dreams of doing jumping jacks that aren't as tolerable. A knee to the back, a hand up side my head....it's delightful.



I was called to be Relief Society teacher. I've only been a sub a couple of times before, so this is new to me. I guess I'm finally old enough to teach adults. I've been needing something to motivate me to study more, so I guess this is a good fit right now.



The girls had parent-teacher conferences and it was fun to hear their teachers praise their efforts. Sara is a little smartie, and only needs to watch her socializing...which I'm surprised hasn't been an issue until now with that social butterfly. Sadie works her little tail off and is doing great. She is a perfectionist and doesn't like to hurry, but her handwriting is beautiful and her scores are amazing considering her language skills are still in progress. She earned a dollar by getting 100% on her spelling test. If you compared money to time spent studying, she earned every penny of that dollar.



Carson is loving his preschool experience, and is coming out of his little shell already (early in the school year compared to older brothers who remained mute until after Christmas). He woke up one morning, looked me right in the eye and proclaimed "I know how to make a sandwich!". Come lunch time he made good on his word and made himself a sandwich. He's my independent one, which isn't surpising for the fifth kid to get tired of waiting for mom to get to something. A few days later when I handed him his lunch he told me "Thanks girlfrieeeeend!". I really love that kid, and it has nothing to do with the fact that he adores his mom. I did have a moment this week when I realized he's 4 and that's a big deal. I've never had the youngest be four and not had another one on the way. We've entered uncharted territory and I'm a little confused emotionally. Sad, because toddlers are fantastic...excited, because each new stage of life has something rewarding to offer....nervous, because of the unknown. Preschool is great for kids and moms. We learn fun songs, we learn how to play with others, and we learn how to be apart for two hours of time. Next year brings kindergarten and four whole hours each weekday. Now that will be interesting for both of us.


So, the annual pumpkin carving was a success, inspite of a missing dad/expert pumpkin carver. Austin and Hayden have been on their own before, but this year I let Sara and Sadie have a little more freedom with the sharp tools. They actually did great. Can you hear my big sigh of relief. But anyway you slice it, five pumpkins are a big undertaking.
Only Carson was able to dress up for school this year. They did a little parade at preschool and it was hilariously cute. Austin decided to help mom out and stay home to pass out the candy--new braces may have been a deciding factor, since he can't enjoy many candy favorites for the next eight or so months. I wonder how long I'll let him go before I tell him I ate everything with braces.
Austin the Zombie, Hippie Hayden, Hermoine Granger, Mulan, and Ba-ba-ba-ba-BATMAN!
I emailed Todd pictures of the kids and the people in China said Sadie was "cheating" because she made such an authentic Mulan.

Trick-or-treating involved heavy rain, umbrellas, and kids that could care less what the weather was doing! Hayden and Sara went off with friends while my mom and I took Sadie and Carson. Of course afterwards is equally fun when the trading, bribing, and begging (mom) ensues!
All bottlecaps, sweetarts and non-chewy items were lovingly donated to big brother.
And there you have it. Rainy, candy filled, pumpkin carving, braces getting, China traveling, party filled, October!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Such cute pictures and I love hearing all about your kids. I was laughing so hard about the dreams of jumping jacks. I've been there SOOO many times......but how can we say no? they love it don't they? Love the lists about the grandparents too!

Anonymous said...

No wonder we haven't seen or heard much from you lately. I suppose now that I know about all of it you can feel a little less guilty about me making Sadie's purple panda cake for Saturday! :) Sadie makes a VERY authentic Mulan - not to mention super cute. Wish we could've made it over there but we had to get to grandma Kris' birthday party. Sam keeps reminding me we need to let the girls play....maybe Saturday after the sealing? ;)

Unknown said...

Cool outfits and pumpkinz......