Hallelujah for warmer weather than expected on Halloween night! The older boys went off with friends for the evening to canvas the neighborhood at a higher speed. How fortunate to live in a safe neighborhood. Their bags were actually heavy when they got home. The rest of us joined with cousins for two times around the loop--one on each side of the road. Carson was tired of walking after the first house, they all argued over who would ring the doorbell, and a great time was had by all! Sadie gave the most enthusiastic "trick-or-treat" and "thank you" at every door I've ever heard. She probably won't even eat 1/4 of her candy but she loved the whole holiday. The kids have figured out how to make the fun last by dumping out all their candy and swapping goodies with their siblings. It's as crazy as the New York stock exchange. I love receiving the unwanted treats, which always reminds me how grateful I am the none of my children like caramel! Some day they will wise up, but until then I'll willingly suffer through Twix bars and Milk Duds.
Hayden had the experience of burying his first pet....his gecko Indy, who'd been terminal for months now. Some life experiences aren't happy, but nevertheless make a child learn and grow.
Sadie decided one evening she wanted her necklace off. It shocked us all and I felt a little hesitant taking it off. It's been on her every minute we've had her and it just seemed strange and wrong to remove it. Being tied on, it wasn't easy to take off and on, so we've just left it be. She's slept, bathed, and lived with it for two months. I wish I knew why she wanted it off. For now, it's tucked away as a precious keepsake. I hold dear the things she was wearing the day we met her. They were all of her worldly possessions and to me they are as treasured as a babies first photo or blessing outfit or special blanket.
Sadie was sick this past week. She finally got the fever we all had last month. She missed being at school and finally brought me her flashcards on the third day to practice. She was very happy to get on the bus Friday and get back to her little routine.
Life is good and as we made our annual Thankful Turkey (pictures forthcoming) I catch myself thinking I want to remember these little things....the things the kids say, the pictures that plaster the refrigerator, the smiles as they get on their costumes...we are blessed....very blessed.

1 comment:
OHHH! I love Aggie games! All the kids look great in their Halloween costumes. Very fitting :) Rylee has started giving me big hugs and kisses throughout the day and I love it...especially the smile that goes with it and if there is a little "Love you"! I hadn't seen your previous post yet. Thanks for sharing your story :)
Post a Comment