Thursday, January 7, 2010

Ping Pong Anyone?

I have procrastinitis. It's a disease that seems to hit periodically, especially after Christmas, and leaves me with the ability to do nothing productive. Right now I should be unclogging a toilet, reading to the kids, and delivering a baby gift to the neighbor who now has a toddler. But no, here I sit blogging. The real task looming is finding homes for all the Christmas gifts. Everything is located in it's proper room by now, they just don't have a spot to call their own. They are shoved on shelves or laying on the floor waiting for homes. I do this every year, vow to do better next year, and then seem to get hit with a case of But-my-kids -want- it- so-I-get-it-for-them syndrome. Hayden suggested a ping-pong table this year. We measured the three possible locations it could be placed before purchasing it and realized it wouldn't really fit anywhere properly. Then Kmart ran their Black Friday ad and I was a goner.

So I've tried to overcome my illness with a 17 step program. Each room of the house (17 of them) was assigned a day they were going to dealt with. After 2 1/2 weeks the problem would be solved and I could get on with important things like.....scrapbooking (which is 8 years behind) and reading a book to the kids (I've had sitting on the counter since the beginning of last summer). But alas, the day comes and the day goes, and the room is not taken care of.

I used to make a list and didn't go to bed until it was done. Until one day I crossed something off the list and wrote it on the next day. When the world didn't end I realized I was on to something. So, I keep crossing off the rooms and adding them to the next day. Today I'm supposed to clean every possible spot in the house except the silverware drawer. That's tomorrows job.

How do I get over this disease? How do mom's get through the additional work of Christmas and still be productive in the New Year? I'm going to ponder this while I begin house plans for adding on a ping-pong room.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that we are home, my dad has left, and it is just us, I am dreading this weekend when I have to do exactly what you are....First thing on my list is to call and get a bigger appt. This two bedroom college style isn't cutting it for our family. Rylee is just too blessed ;) Then on to finding a home for every little gadget and gizmo. I like the template you picked! ~Ash

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. Now throw in the reminder that you have 5 kids -and you shuttle them most everywhere most every day! At least you are aren't working full time? Wanna babysit? ;)

Jessica said...

When I think about people who set goals and accomplish them, I think of you. Truly. (I tell people how you learned to play the piano at 25 all the time, because I think it's so great.)

It's nice to know you procrastinate, too!