Monday, August 15, 2011

July Is All About....

I have a small obsession with list making. It's how I keep life organized. A list of groceries to buy. A list of goals for the year. A list of things I have to get done this week. If it's not on a list it most likely won't happen, and even if it is on the list it's no guarantee. So, at the beginning of the summer my niece sent me this idea for a summer list. I've learned if you don't plan summer it evaporates too quickly and you don't get a thing done. We made our family "Summer To Do List" that included anything we might possibly enjoy doing this summer and have enjoyed checking off each event, thus realizing how much we really do accomplish in the few days we are free from school and routines. We won't get to all of them this year, but hence the downfall of listmaking....it never seems to be finished.

Some of our favorites this month included going to Boondocks for a day of bumper boats (Sadie the crazy driver and mad quirter), miniature golf, mini bowling, arcade games, laser tag, and go carts.

Going to Ferron for the Snyder family reunion and picking up the older boys who had been there staying with Grandma and Grandpa for a week. They became sprinkler pros and about wore out their old go-cart racing around the farm. We also left Sara the following week to enjoy some time with grandparents and cousin Madi. The kids were completely spoiled during their visits and are anticipating next year already.

Having cousins come and sleep over at our house! Really, what could be more fun than cousins your same age to grow up with?

Hayden's first scout camp at Camp Bartlett (Montpelier area) with his dad joining for part of it, until he had to head off for another China work trip. He would have much rather stayed at scout camp.

Youth conference for Austin.

Going to see the final Harry Potter movie! The three older kids have enjoyed reading the Harry Potter books and Sara finished this year and has watched the movies with each book. The final movie was very timely especially for her.

Family yard sale to earn some saving money and fun money for the kids. They enjoyed earning money and mom enjoyed getting rid of lots of stuff! They also sold homemade oreos (mostly to one happy old guy who apparently loves oreos more than life!) and shaved ice. It was a success!

Finally, a photo shoot of our Sadie Lady. This was supposed to happen when she turned 8, but she was closer to 8 1/2 by the time this activity got crossed off the list! She's a cutie in her glasses.


And we did actually get a picture after the Freedom Run we'd trained for on the 4th of July! The boys did fantastic, beating mom....who had a great excuse of pneumonia for her slow running time. They haven't run a day since, but claim they will do it again next year, and possibly even the half marathon.

Their first 15K earned a BIG checkmark when it was complete.

So now we can remember the big "check offs" of July....maybe next year we should add "take more pictures!" to the list.


4 comments:

Justin & Ashlee said...

Oh I am so glad you liked the idea and did it. Rylee really had fun coloring in the little stars by hers. And I'm also glad because it gave you a reason to post and see what you're up to :) Here's to a great summer! Hope to see you this weekend!

Anonymous said...

I loved that idea & made a list of my own...it took 2 sticky notes even. I need to go back & look at it again..I never typed it up b/c my printer has been out of ink & I didn't write it up b/c I didn't have a paper big enough. Gee, I suck! I do know we've done quite a few things on it though!

The Jensen Seven said...

I LOVE the idea! Next year our list won't have Mom working, moving to a new house, and major surgery for Mom. It should be a much more enjoyable summer! We have crossed a couple VERY big things off the list so we've done something this summer. Love ya!!!

Cass Bradshaw said...

I changed my blog address a while back ago, and I noticed you still have the old one. It's cbshawfamily.blogspot.com :) and cass-eats.blogspot.com