Monday, January 3, 2011

Christmas 2010

I've thrown away the December calendar which means I'm trying to remember the craziness of December. You'd think after over a year of blogging I'd remember which order to put the pictures in, but alas I can't recall once again if they load the same as you enter them or opposite. Oh, who cares, it was hectic and crazy and magical and it all added up to Christmas regardless of the order. So we'll let the pictures tell the story.
We surprised the kids a couple of days early with a very memorable Christmas gift....2 shih tzu puppies! Macy and Odie have joined the Snyders. It was the kids first day of the holiday break from school, which was perfect timing to allow hours of puppy fun. The idea behind the puppies was a friend for our dog Daisy, and a life experience for the kids, especially the younger ones who weren't here when we got the last puppy. It was love at first sight and they've been the most loved creatures in town. It was supposed to be one, but Todd fell in love with the other, so here we are with two new dogs. Which hasn't been such a bad thing since there are two of them to go around with all the kids. Sadie's face was complete surprise, not really understanding we actually got to keep them, until we explained they were really ours. Carson tells us at least three times a day that they love him, which really translates to how much he loves them.

The kids had been guessing for days what the present would be and we laughed when they were asking questions. "Can you sit on it?" "Does it require assembly?" I knew they were happy with the results when they said they were even better than a swimming pool! Yep, we gave the ultimate gift...times two! And after a week and a half the kids are still good to help out when it's potty time, even when it's freezing cold outside. We've laughed about Odie shivering from the cold and from fear of the neighbors barking monster dogs.
The Reeder family party was at our place this year, the day after Christmas. Mom and dad have downsized and didn't have enough space for the entire crew. We had close to full numbers and it was the usual fun. I loved having it here since it meant cleaning up the Christmas mess. I'm so glad I really do love my family. I wish we could just hang out more often.
Christmas Eve was full of the usual traditions...Grandparents here to celebrate, new pajamas and our annual picnic of finger foods and cherry slush. We added a recital in this year with piano pieces and singing. Grandparents are always a willing audience. We were glad Todd's parents made the trip up to spend the night with us and then enjoy an early Christmas morning. It was painful, but the kids waited until 6 am. Santa's delivery seemed to be a success.
Carson was super fun this holiday. Being four years old means Christmas is as magical as it can get. He made this Santa face at preschool and each day was supposed to glue a cotton ball onto Santa's beard until Christmas arrived. It was the first thing he wanted to do each morning. As a mom I hope to remember it's the simple things like this that make Christmas perfect.
The kids love decorating gingerbread houses. We bought kits this year with villages, that had enough for everyone to decorate two smaller houses. Gingerbread houses are great because they always look good when you are done, and it's always fun to see the kids' creativity as they get older. Carson would comment with each piece of candy, "Oh, that looks perfect!"
One of my favorite things about the holiday is decorating the Christmas tree. I love hearing the kids delight as they find their ornaments from previous years, especially the really impressive school made ones! It doesn't take long to decorate a tree with five helpers. I was excited this year to decorate my own tree which was twelve feet tall! It felt like a whole forest was in the living room for a few days, but we finally get used to the monstrosity and loved having a tree upstairs for a change.
Amid the busyness we throw in Hayden's birthday party. It was an important one with him turning twelve and being able to receive the priesthood and start passing the sacrament. It was a good day to watch two Snyder boys during sacrament meeting. Hayden took a few friends bowling at the Fun Park and the rest of the family met the party for ice cream at Charlies afterwards. I wonder if Hayden's birthday wish is to be as tall as his friends next year! He looks good with his new short haircut no matter how tall he is.
Todd headed back to China the Monday after Christmas and was gone for a week, missing the New Year. The kids and I went to the Fun Park, shopped, came home and made pizza, played games, watched a movie, and brought in the New Year. Todd was climbing along the great wall of China at 1:11 pm on 1/11 to bring in his new year. I ask the older boys if they wanted to have a party with their friends since they are getting close to an age they'd like that and since Todd would be gone. They looked at me like I was crazy and said New Years is supposed to be with your family! I'll enjoy it while I can.
We also worked on our New Year Resolutions....our favorite being Carson's who wants to go to Chuck E. Cheese and become magic!
So, after all this...Todd is home from China, the decorations are put away, the kids are back in school, and I'm doing laundry....life as usual, until we begin the countdown to next Christmas! Maybe we'll just work on enjoying January first.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The picture of Austin with Hayden & his friends is great! It shows his true Reeder blood!
You need to email me the picture of all us grandkids with grandma/pa. Now one has eyes closed! It's probably the best one anyone got!