Monday, March 1, 2010

Firsts

I love "firsts". They are usually exciting, cause to celebrate or milestones that mean we are learning and enjoying life. This week alone was full of them for our family.

The whole family enjoyed our "first" sledding adventure of the year. It was a ward activity out in Mt. Sterling. The hills were huge. The snow was a bit old so it was quite bumpy, but we still enjoyed the exhilaration of flying down the mountain with snow flying our faces!

Here's Hayden and Carson laughing after a not so gentle landing.
Sadie quickly learned the downside of sledding....climbing back up the hill. She has a way of getting a free ride. Here she is with Austin's friend Jeremy Pugmire. There are times I have to remind her that friends actually come over to see her siblings. This was Sadie's "first" sledding experience ever and she seemed to like it and hanging out with siblings and neighborhood friends.
Austin has a slight lego obsession. His "first" was building a set without actually opening the bag. He'd heard of someone doing this, so he had to give it a try. It's actually a good thing since it slows down the process for him, lengthening the building time, which we all know is a great part of the fun of legos! You can also see his purple cheek from a laser treatment...one of the "first" we've done in a long time. Austin also gave his "first" talk in sacrament meeting. He was complimented by so many people, which he deserved since he really did find information and write most of the talk himself. He was also the least nervous youth speaker I've ever heard. I've heard my grandfather was a great speaker....I wonder if that is a talent that can be passed without even meeting the person. The missionaries also spoke and I wondered how many talks Austin will give over his lifetime, today being just the "first" of many.
Sadie has been asking to go swimming and lesson time finally came around. Sadie and Carson are enjoying their "first" lessons together. That is when the pool isn't freezing cold. Sadie is doing great and seems to enjoy the water, although we are constantly praying her swimsuit doesn't fall off. Seriously, how can tights and swimsuits be baggy? And Carson, well he looks cute in his suit and goggles.
I've offered before without Sadie accepting, but this week she came home and requested her "first" peanut butter and jelly sandwich. She loves peanuts so I explained how peanut butter is squished peanuts. The jelly wasn't a hit, so we've eliminated it. This girl does love to eat, so we are always happy to find a new favorite.
Sadie is also speaking with sentences for the most part, including slang phrases "I just kidding", "Oh my gosh" or "Seriously!" It's very cute. At school, she is sounding out simple words. I am amazed, the teachers are impressed and Sadie is very proud of herself...as she should be. Six months and she's sounding out words, not to mention totally understanding the addition concept.
Sara was passing the time shopping with me and borrowed my cell phone to send her "first" text message to her dad. I'm guessing there will be just a few more of those in her future! A few million! She was also bouncing with excitment when she got to pick out her "first" set of scriptures this week. If her enthusiasm for reading them matches her enthusiasm for getting them then we are in good shape.
Hayden got to enjoy a "first" that all scouts look forward to...jumping in the pool with their clothes on and making floatation devices from them. What kid wouldn't love that!
Carson has decided to get in on computer time and has learned how to get to a few different websites the kids have bookmarked. The "first" time I saw him running the mouse made me laugh out loud. I remember struggling with a mouse in college and he's a pro already.
So now it's the "first" of March....I wonder what this month will bring!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds fun! Sadie is too cute. I bet she loved the idea of squished peanuts!
Did you get the email I sent about Relay for Life?