Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Day To Remember 9/1/2009

First I want to start by telling everyone thank you for birthday wishes and words of encouragement. I've enjoyed receiving over a dozen emails and they truly made my day. But, even though it was my birthday, today was about FuJiao Sadie. This afternoon we stood with a room full of adopting families in the American consulate, each with an amazing story of what brought them here this day. We all raised our arm to the square, promising we've told the truth throughout the adoption process. They handed each family their paperwork, and that was it. When we land on American soil, FuJiao will be an American citizen. I remember over 6 years ago knowing this day would happen and the culmination of it all was so simple and so full of joy. There were cheers, hugs, tears and a room full of very happy families.

We celebrated with a Chinese dinner fit for a newly adopted girl and her birthday celebrating mom. We are heading to Beijing tomorrow, which means our journey towards home begins, and this is cause to celebrate as well. We've checked out of our hotel since our flight is early in the morning. Our first flight with FuJiao was an hour, this one will be 3 hours, followed the next day by the biggie from Beijing to LA.
FuJiao and Todd have had a great time today "fighting" with swords. She's quite the Kung Fu girl. It must have been something she played with her friends. We keep saying she really likes her dad, she just won't admit it! He's fun for spinning her around, sharing chocolate, playing swords, singing songs, counting to 10 in Chinese and English, and buying barbies and movies for the plane rides....but he's still not for holding hands. Even with the cold shoulder he often gets, Todd is completely wrapped around her little finger.

Today's pictures are little things about FuJiao we love and will always remember. The silver sparkly shoes, which are already wearing out, that she refuses to take off. We'd have had to change her name to Dorothy if they were red. Her bracelet which has Guanyin on it--a female budda figure often left with children, as she is the guardian of women and children. Her necklace has a shape that represented wealth in ancient China.


Todd looked at me today and ask what my next wild hair was going to be. I told him I didn't think I could top this one.
----------
Thus far, I have let Nikki tell our story. She writes it up, and then I correct it for content before publication. But today, I would like to add a few observations and thoughts.
The past several days have been a tremendous roller coaster of emotions that can't be described. First, the "Gotcha Day". I didn't know until August 24 at about 2:30 that this has a dual meaning. We "got" FuJiao Sadie, but at that moment, she also "got" us ... hook, line, and sinker. The rest of that day was enjoyable, but awkward as we got to know each other better. Beginning the following day, FuJiao took to her new mother and distanced herself from me. Given all the logical explanations for this, and knowing we should be happy that she was attaching, this was difficult for me. Each day she has opened up a little more toward me, and I think it's safe to say at this point that I am her second favorite. Through this, however, we have learned that she is very apprehensive about new situations and new people in general. She hesitates going onto a playground if other kids are present, and she shies away from questions that inquisitive Chinese ask her on the street or at restraunts.
Our days here in China with FuJiao have been easier than expect by all measures. Our most difficult days likely lay ahead as we adjust to our American life style. I specifically expect attending kindergarten will be a difficult milestone. With the completion of our adoption today, we have a sense of relief, satisfaction, and gratitude. For the simplicity of today's ceremony, it brought a lump into my throat and a tear to my eye. We cannot wait to return home and share this treasure with everyone.

No comments: